Sunday, February 22, 2009

Round two

So...I have strep throat AGAIN. Note that it has not even been one month since I last had this vicious bacteria. This time I'm on Penicillin instead of Amoxicillin, which had better destroy all of this nastiness for longer than 3 weeks, or...I don't know, I'd do something drastic. Like preform a tonsillectomy on myself. That would teach those drug companies to make more effective antibiotics.

Life before the diagnosis had been good. Do you like that I sound as if I've been given 2 weeks to live? Anyway, Ty and I had a fun mommy/son night a few days ago. Dan took Jake to a high school basketball game, and I told Ty we'd do something special. I didn't have a clue what that would be until I asked him 5 minutes before Jake and Dan left. His "special night" request was this: "PLEASE can we paint the house?" He has been asking me for days about the cans of paint in the garage. I told him they were the colors of the walls in our house, in case we ever needed to paint again. He's been asking to paint the house every day since then, and after looking at all the scuff/scratch/toy-mangled missing paint marks on our walls, I agreed. Just FYI almost all of these marks are conspicuously at or below Ty-height; shocker, I know.

For those of you who think I'm crazy for letting my 2 1/2 year old paint our wall (not using washable watercolors) without a drop cloth in sight...that's pretty legit. But I only had about half an inch of off-white paint in a plastic cup and told him I needed to make sure the brush wasn't dripping before he went at the walls, so it didn't turn out too badly. He of course didn't actually paint the spots that needed touching up, so I did that when he wasn't looking. He was thrilled to be doing a "big guy" job.

Other highlights of the Ty/Mom evening were making sugar-free chocolate pudding, watching his favorite TV show Imagination Movers, and maybe the most exciting thing of all: I let him run around wearing nothing but underwear all night long. After looking at this picture, I should rephrase that...underwear and pudding and paint.

Hopefully I'll have some more good stories once these antibiotics have kicked in. Until then, think of me drinking hot tea and composing a scathing letter to the makers of Amoxicillin.

1 comment:

Marla Taviano said...

She posted! She posted! I've missed you!

I'm so sorry about the strep. Ugh. I had it ALL the time when I was little. Got my tonsils out in 8th grade. No Amoxicillin ever again.

Did Ty eat the entire bowl of pudding himself?!